- This event has passed.
MOCA Kids Art Lab
July 10, 2021 @ 10:00 am
MOCA Kids Art Lab is a fun virtual art-making experience with a STEAM focus for artists ages 5 to 12. Hosted the second Saturday each month, Kids Art Lab encourages your young artist to make cross-curricular connections with Science, technology, Engineering, Art, and Math.
July’s lesson is Organic Arts: Painting with Natural Materials
- Learn how objects from nature are used to create art materials
- Examine how nature can produce art tools and pigments
- Create their own painting using resources from nature
Keywords and Terms: Nature, Resources, Pigment, Repurpose
Please prepare the following materials before the live lesson begins.
- Turmeric, paprika, curry powder, or other brightly colored spices
- Dark berries like strawberries, blackberries, or cherries
- Red cabbage, spinach, parsley, or other colorful vegetables
- Colorful flowers
- Charcoal (charcoal pencil or tablets can be used)
- Coffee grounds
- Black tea bag
- Gloves (optional)
- Coffee filters**
- Two to three egg yolks, divided into small bowls**
- One-half cup of vinegar, divided between two to three small bowls**
- One-half cup of water, divided between two to three small bowls**
- Watercolor paper**
- **Note: These items are foundational to this project. Other items such as spices, fruits, and flowers may be adapted to the participant’s interests and item availability.